As I looked back on the music I’d listened to in the past 12 months, my suspicions were immediately confirmed — I didn’t listen to as much new stuff as I want and need to.
Rather than constantly seeking out new bands through a variety of blogs and websites as I have usually done, I found myself reaching into the recent past and listening to acts that I’d either forgotten about or just missed completely.
So, when I set forth to compile a list of the year’s best music, it turned out that my range of possible choices was relatively narrow. And, while all of the music listed below is high quality, I know it’s not as all-encompassing as it should be. For that I am sorry. And I can only hope to do better in the coming year.
THE 10 ALBUMS I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO
(I didn’t realize this until I alphabetized my list, but six of these bands start with L. That’s rather uncanny.)
- British India – Controller … Favorite song: “I Can Make You Love Me”
- CHVRCHES – The Bones of What You Believe … Favorite song: “The Mother We Share”
- Mikal Cronin – MCII … Favorite song: “Shake It Out”
- Leagues – You Belong Here … Favorite song: “Walking Backwards”
- Little Green Cars – Absolute Zero … Favorite songs: “Harper Lee” and “The John Wayne”
- The Lone Bellow – self-titled … Favorite song: “Green Eyes and a Heart of Gold”
- Lorde – Pure Heroine … Favorite song: “Royals”
- The Love Language – Ruby Red … Favorite song: “Calm Down”
- Lucius – Wildewoman … Favorite song: “Hey, Doreen”
- Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park … Favorite songs: “Merry Go ’round” and “Follow Your Arrow”
A COUPLE OF EPs THAT ARE WORTH A MENTION
- Twin Forks – self-titled … Favorite songs: “Something We Just Know” and “Back To You”
- Wildcat! Wildcat! – self-titled … Favorite song: “Mr. Quiche”
A FEW SONGS THAT STOOD OUT IN MY MIND